Dog Registration

Do I Have To Register My Dog?

Yes. Council's Local Law stipulates that all dogs over three months of age must be registered and there is a penalty if the dog is not registered.  If your dog is found wandering and is not registered, Council will not be able to contact you.  Impounded dogs are put down after three working days if they are not claimed.  However, if your dog is registered, a Council officer will contact you.

An annual registration fee applies.  Desexed dogs are free provided proof is available.

Forms are available from Council's Administration Centre and Councils Website in Council Forms.

Dog Registration Fees are as follows:

  • 1st Dog (desexed Lifetime) - FREE
    • 1st Dog (entire) - $60
    • 1st Dog (entire Lifetime) $180

  • 2nd Dog (desexed) - $42
  • 2nd Dog (desexed Lifetime) - $126
    • 2nd Dog (entire) - $136
    • 2nd Dog (entire Lifetime) - $408

  • 3rd Dog (desexed) - $90, by application to Council only
  • 3rd Dog (desexed Lifetime) - $270, by application to Council only
    • 3rd Dog (entire) - $250by application to Council only
    • 3rd Dog (entire Lifetime) - $750, by application to Council only

  • Dangerous Dog (As declared by Council) - $200
  • Menacing Dog - $100


  1. Pensioners - First Animal Free and a 50% discount applies to all subsequent Animal Registrations
  2. Guide Dogs Free

Payment can be made at the Council's Administration Centre by cash, cheque or EFTPOS.


How many dogs can I have?

Only two dogs may be kept per residence.  If you require to keep more than two dogs per residence then an Application can be made in writing to Council (Fee Applicable - See above).

Are there any prohibited breeds?

Yes.  The following four breeds of dogs are prohibited in the Diamantina Shire:

  • The American Pit Bull Terrier
  • The Dogo Argentino
  • The Fila Brasileiro
  • The Tosa (Japanese)

Contact the Council's Administration Centre for more information regarding prohibited breeds.

What can I do about a stray dog?

If you have tethered the dog (private property only) the Town Supervisor will collect it, if desired.  Call (07) 4746 1600.  The Town Supervisor will phone to arrange a suitable collection time - we do not want to collect the wrong dog and we may not enter a property to remove a dog unless the owner or a representative is there.  If the person who has the dog does not want to surrender it to the Town Supervisor, Council will notify the dog owner with details of where the animal is being held.

A barking dog is annoying me, what can I do?

Call Council's Administration Centre.  They will ask you to provide details including your name and address and the exact nature of the complaint.  It is an offence to allow a dog to make excessive noise by barking or howling.  The complaint is referred to the Town Supervisor.

If a dog is attacking people, what can I do?

Call Council's Administration Centre.  You will be asked to provide your name, address and telephone number.  Our staff will contact the complainant for further details and arrange to have a written statement as soon as possible.  We cannot just order a dog to be destroyed or moved out of the Shire.

What happens if my dog loses its identification tag?

Come into the Council's Administration Centre and we will issue you with a new one for free.  It is important that your dog has a tag for identification purposes.