Dog Registration

Do I Have To Register My Dog?

Yes. Council's Local Law stipulates that all dogs over three months of age must be registered and there is a penalty if the dog is not registered.  If your dog is found wandering and is not registered, Council will not be able to contact you.  Impounded dogs are put down after three working days if they are not claimed.  However, if your dog is registered, a Council officer will contact you.

An annual registration fee applies.  First desexed dog is free provided proof is available.

Infringement Notices

Owners of unregistered dogs or failure to renew registration can be issued with a $667.25 infringement notice.

Owners of dogs wondering at large can be issued with a $266.90 infringement notice.

Forms are available from Council's Administration Centre and Councils Website in Council Forms.

How many dogs can I have?

Only two dogs may be kept per residence.  If you require to keep more than two dogs per residence then an Application for 3rd Animal submitted to Council. Forms are available from Council's Administraion Centre and Council's Website in Council Forms (Fee Applicable - See above).


Responsible dog breeding.

Is your dog having puppies?

If so, you're considered a breeder under the law and must be registered on the Queensland Dog Breeder Register.

It only takes a few minutes to register for free online.

Help us protect the welfare of dogs.

Please click on the link below

Queensland Government

Are there any prohibited breeds?

Yes.  The following four breeds of dogs are prohibited in the Diamantina Shire:

  • The American Pit Bull Terrier
  • The Dogo Argentino
  • The Fila Brasileiro
  • The Tosa (Japanese)

Contact the Council's Administration Centre for more information regarding prohibited breeds.

What can I do about a stray dog?

If you have tethered the dog (private property only) the Town Supervisor will collect it, if desired.  Call (07) 4746 1600.  The Town Supervisor will phone to arrange a suitable collection time - we do not want to collect the wrong dog and we may not enter a property to remove a dog unless the owner or a representative is there.  If the person who has the dog does not want to surrender it to the Town Supervisor, Council will notify the dog owner with details of where the animal is being held.

A barking dog is annoying me, what can I do?

Call Council's Administration Centre. They will ask you to provide details including your name and address and the exact nature of the complaint. It is an offence to allow a dog to make excessive noise by barking or howling. The complaint is referred to the Town Supervisor.

If a dog is attacking people, what can I do?

Call Council's Administration Centre. You will be asked to provide your name, address and telephone number. Our staff will contact the complainant for further details and arrange to have a written statement as soon as possible. We cannot just order a dog to be destroyed or moved out of the Shire. Council can issue a Proprosed Regulated Dog Declaration Notice to the owner of the dog.

What is declared dangerous dog?

An authorised Council Officer or a local court may declare a dog as dangerous if it:

  • has attacked or killed a person or animal;
  • has repeatedly threatened to attack or repeatedly chased a person or animal, or
  • is kept or used for illegal hunting purposes; or
  • has been declared a dangerous dog under a law of another State or Territory that corresponds with the Act.

What is declared menacing dog?

An authorised Council Officer or a local court may declare a dog as menacing if it:

  • has displayed unreasonable aggression towards a person or animal,
  • has attacked a person or animal without causing serious injury or death, or
  • has been declared a menacing dog under a law of another State or Territory that corresponds with the Act.

What happens if my dog loses its identification tag?

Come into the Council's Administration Centre and we will issue you with a new one for free.  It is important that your dog has a tag for identification purposes.